The south part of the Palace was badly damaged and its reconstruction is uncertain. Evans believed that there was an entrance at the southwest end, accessed by a magnificent colonnaded staircase.
Indeed, the massive foundations discovered on the hillside south of the Palace belong to the southern part of the “Stepped Portico” leading to the “Southwest Entrance” to the Palace.
From there, the “Stepped Portico” appears to have continued with an eastwards turn, although a few ruins have been identified further north, at the foot of the hill. Parts of its paved steps were revealed on the slope, just west of the “South House”. It was destroyed by an earthquake in the MM IIIB period and never rebuilt. The “South House” was founded on its ruins shortly afterwards.
In the “South House”, as reconstructed by Evans with three storeys, many of the architectural and decorative features of the Palace are repeated (“lustral basin”, pillar crypt, widespread use of gypsum, etc.). It is therefore considered to have been a remarkable house of the Neopalatial period (1700-1450 BC).